Cotton Motorcycles - Celebrating 100 years!

 
COTTON CENTENARY RALLY
 
20 July 2014
 
On 23 July 1914, Frank Willoughby (Bill) Cotton patented triangulated frame that formed the basis of the early Cotton Motorcycles, a design so successful that it remained virtualy unchanged in the "pre-war" era.  
 
By 1915, the first two frames had been manufactured at the Levis company where Bill Cotton was a "Student of Motor Engineering".  Extensive testing during the war years proved the soundness of the design.  The Cotton Motor Company was formed in 1919 with premises at 11a Bristol Road, Gloucester.
 
One hundred years after the original patent, enthusiasts from around the world gathered to celebrate the centenary of Cotton Motorcyles at the Brooklands Museum, a place where Cotton had many successes in the early days, including the setting of twelve world records set during a single session in 1935.  On display were 116 Cottons, representing virtually all Cotton Models throughout the years.  Also on display were 2 Levis', a fitting nod to the Levis Company as the manufacturer of the first experimental Cottons. 
 
Enjoy the photos!
 
 
 
 
Pre-War Pavilion
 
 
Post-War Paddock
 
 
  
Pit Lane -  An outstanding display of racing Cotton's unlikely to be repeated soon.